Thursday, July 05, 2007

Interview: Marc Guggenheim

Newsarama has posted an interesting interview with "the writer who was handed the figurative gun and had the target pointed out to him"--Marc Guggenheim, who scripted five issues of The Flash: The Fastest Man Alive, revitalizing a lackluster title, before unexpectedly executing the scarlet speedster himself. Guggenheim discusses the details of this unusual assignment and some of its far-reaching ramifications for the Flash, his Rogues Gallery, and the DC Universe at large.

"My job was to establish Bart as the Flash. It just so happened that my job was to establish him as the Flash and then kill him... My goal was that, if I was going to kill Bart, I was going to make sure that Bart died as a Flash. In fact, that’s the whole reason for page thirteen of issue #13, with Bart screaming “I am the Flash!” I really wanted to try to establish Bart as a legitimate Flash before we killed him. And I was very careful in all the interviews and all the message board postings I did to not lie--I repeatedly said that I was not bringing Wally back, and that’s true. I wasn’t going to do it. No one asked me if someone else was going to do it, though."

No comments: