Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Return of the JSA

Justice Society of America will return later this year, written by Geoff Johns and drawn by Dale Eaglesham. Newsarama has posted an interview with the artist. He reflects on, among other things, the way that original Flash Jay Garrick should be depicted in the modern era.

With this week's solicitations for December, fans are getting the early details of the much-anticipated relaunch of Justice Society of America by writer Geoff Johns and artist Dale Eaglesham. Returning with a new #1 issue, the series will start off with a 48-page book and cover by Alex Ross that reveals a handful of brand new characters joining the established team... Newsarama sat down with series artist Dale Eaglesham to find out how he's approaching all these new characters while paying respect to the old, and what fans can expect to see when the series returns in December.

Q: Let's talk about the three mentors of the team: Alan Scott/Green Lantern, Jay Garrick/Flash and Ted Grant/Wildcat. What's your approach for each of them?

EAGLESHAM: Well, I think Alan and Jay, I put almost into the same category. These are old guys, like in their 70s probably, but I want them to be heroic too. Jay, for example, is The Flash. We didn't want him to be too bulky, too muscular. I think the first time I drew him, I drew him really big and heroic, and Steve Wacker said, you know, he's a speed guy; he should be a lot thinner. And I sort of met him halfway. I made Jay thin, but his legs are fairly muscular. 'Cause he's a runner. Him and Alan are both -- I'm really working on the barrel-chested, old guy look. They're in shape, but they're not like they used to be when they were younger, obviously.

No comments: