Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Monkey Cover

Blog theme days are fun, as regular readers of Crimson Lightning or The Aquaman Shrine will no doubt attest. (Don't believe me? Be here on Thursday for Live Action, or Friday for Classic Covers.) Over at Dave Carter's Yet Another Comics Blog, it seems every Sunday is Monkey Covers Day! Why? Because monkeys and comic book adventure go together like peanut butter and bananas. Sunday, March 4th's monkey cover comes from The Flash (v.2) #45 and what may be my all-time favorite scarlet speedster storyline featuring Gorilla Grodd.

Sunday is Monkey Covers day here at YACB. Because there's nothing better than a comic with a monkey on the cover. Grodd has totally p0wned Wally West on Greg LaRocque & José Marzan, Jr.'s cover to 1990's Flash #45. (Standard disclaimer about evil intelligent gorillas not really being monkeys applies.)

7 comments:

rob! said...

I LOVES DA BLOG THEME DAYS!!

it says something about how fun comics can be that there are enough monkey covers to be able to make it a regular feature.

Dixon said...

Indeed. Just how many monkey covers can there be in all of comicdom?

Oh, and Rob, be sure to check out Bruce Timm's comments in the post below. If he's to be believed, an Aquaman animated feature may be on the slate for next year. We can but hope, right?

rob! said...

i read that! that would be more awesome than my fragile mind could handle.

i once got a chance to tell Timm how much i liked his Aquaman ep of STAS; i'll have to tell that story on the shrine someday.

Colin said...

I'm REALLY REALLY sorry. I mean you even put a disclaimer acknowledging the fact. I know I'm being childish and petulent and picky and stupid but so help me its my pet perve (well one of them I'm such a grumpy old git these days) but I really really have to say it (and I really really am so sorry as I know theres no need to - my wife gets this all the time bless her).

GORILLAS AREN'T MONKEYS, APEs AND MONKEYS ARE DIFFERENT - it's in the tail don't you know - phew had to get it out my system.

By the way my fav Grodd storyline as well.

Dixon said...

Well, Colin, I suppose you're performing a public service by reminding us. But, yes, as Dave Carter's disclaimer correctly notes, monkeys are not apes and apes are not monkeys. And human beings share 95% of their DNA with chimpanzees. But Gorilla Grodd is just so evil, I suppose he deserves to be called whatever we'd like to call him.

Dixon said...

Wow! Secret Origins #40? Now that's a monkey cover! That's good stuff. With monkeys, apes riding motorcycles, and dinosaurs, how could any reader resist?

Zeke said...

Man, that takes me back. #45 was my fifth FLASH issue -- probably the fifth comic I ever owned myself.

Messner-Loebs' run wasn't the best way to introduce a kid to comics, but now that I'm older, I can appreciate how good it was. He gave new dimension to Wally without making him unrecognizable (like Mike Baron's Wally was at times). He told serious stories, but never forgot that FLASH was a comic book. We wouldn't have Mark Waid's run if Loebs hadn't laid the groundwork. Truly an underrated writer.

- Z