Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Interview: Mike Wieringo

Newsarama has posted an excerpt from Modern Masters Vol. 9, an interview with Mike Wieringo. The artist reflects on his beginnings in the comic book industry, including the work he contributed to his first monthly comic title--The Flash. The article also offers a look at a couple of Wieringo's pencilled pages from the title. Mike Wieringo illustrated the scarlet speedster's adventures for only a year, but his unique contributions to the title really are unforgettable.

"I think 'intimidated' would be an understatement. I was terrified... petrified [to be working on The Flash]. Y'know that old saying that goes, 'Be careful for what you wish for--you just might get it'? Well, I'd been dreaming about getting a gig drawing the monthly adventures of a major comic book icon since I was around eleven years old, and here I was having that dream come true. As it turned out, the dream was much more hectic, difficult, time-consuming, and frustrating than I ever thought it would be. The monthly deadline was entirely intimidating and from the get-go; it felt crushing to me. I feel like I've been living under the gun ever since. The stress associated with a monthly comic book deadline is very high."

No comments: